Stewed potatoes also known as braised potatoes is a popular potato stew in the Slavic culture. It can be made in the crock pot, oven or pressure cooker…
This is our families version of Stewed potatoes and hopefully it can become an ultimate favorite in your kitchen. This recipe can easily made in a pressure cooker, slow cooker or baked in the oven. Serve with a side such as dill pickles or plain ole bread and enjoy this classic Ukrainian dish!
Ingredients for Stewed Potatoes:
Yes, ketchup and mayo… Trust me you will not regret using these ingredients. The ketchup is what gives these potatoes the nice orange color and the gravy powder slightly thickens the potatoes since they let out some juice. Don’t worry everything balances out and the potatoes come out amazing! You can trust me on these ingredients.
How to make Stewed Potatoes:
2. Throw all ingredients into a slow cooker or oven safe pot depending on what cooking method you decide on.
NOTE: If using oven method bake at 400 degrees F for one hour and then 350 degrees F for an additional hour and a half. Check if potatoes are done; it may take longer depending on the amount of potatoes. It is ready when potatoes slightly darkened in color and juices got slightly thicker.
- 4½ lbs peeled and cubed potatoes
- 1 lb of pork (you can use beef too)
- ⅓ cup mayo
- ¼ cup ketchup
- 1 packet of goya sazon seasoning
- 1 tsp salt
- ½ black pepper
- 3 bay leaves
- 2 tbsp dry poultry gravy
- 1 tsp Montreal chicken seasoning
- ¼ tsp garlic powder
- ½ cup heavy whipping cream
- ½ cup water
- Peel and cube potatoes; place in oven safe pot or slow cooker depending on what cooking method you prefer.
- Cube and season the meat with salt and pepper to taste. Heat a large skillet on high heat and place meat pieces in preheated skillet, searing sides. Remove and throw into pot or slow cooker.
- Add all remaining ingredients into slow cooker or pot and toss to combine. Cover and set slow cooker on high for 4 hours. After 4 hours set slow cooker to 2 hours on mid or low depending on the slow cooker settings you have available.
- If using the oven method you can bake potatoes in an oven safe pot for 1 hour on 400 degrees F and then reduce heat to 350 degrees F and cook an additional hour or two depending on quantity of potatoes.
- Potatoes are ready when they slightly darkened in color and juices got slickly thicker. You shouldn't see the heavy cream anymore.